Our insurance benefits can be confusing and overwhelming. We have created a “Cheat Sheet” to help you understand a bit more clearly. Please keep in mind that all insurances differ, and while it is ultimately your responsibility to know your benefits, we will verify them as a courtesy to you. To check your insurance benefits, call the Customer Service number on the back of your insurance card and ask for "Outpatient Physical Therapy Benefits."


  • An amount of money that you have to pay before an insurance company pays.
  • I.e.: If you have a $500 deductible, you will be responsible for that before insurance will pay anything.


  • A fixed fee to be paid by the patient at the time of each office visit or outpatient service.
  • I.e.: If you have a $20 co-payment, you will be responsible for that at each visit.


  • Your share of the costs of a service, calculated as a percent of the allowed amount.
  • I.e.: If you have a 20% coinsurance, you will be responsible for 20% of what your insurance allows and your insurance will be responsible for the other 80% that at each visit.


  • Your expenses that aren't reimbursed by insurance. Out-of-pocket costs may include deductibles, coinsurance, and co-payments for covered services plus all costs for services that aren't covered.
  • I.e.: If you have a $1000 Out-of-Pocket limit, you should not be responsible for more than that total amount.


  • Approval by your insurance company. If authorization is not obtained, your insurance may not be responsible.

Coverage period:

  • The term of duration of the policy, usually 1 year at a time.